BARBICAN CURVE GALLERY
Barbican Centre, Silk Street, London, EC2
Client: Barbican Centre c/o City of London Corporation
Architect: Witherford Watson Mann Architects
Summary of works: Refurbishment of the Curve Gallery which is part of the Barbican Centre and one of two galleries at the Barbican. The Curve has a growing reputation for showing some of London’s most interesting contemporary art exhibitions.
Description of works – Various works were carried out during the Barbican’s summer performance and exhibition recess which included:
- The alterations and refurbishment of the Curve Gallery including alterations to existing floor levels, screeded and timber floor finishes and ramps.
- The replacement of stair and platform lift.
- The installation of new lighting track, new display unit and associated works.
Challenges successfully overcome:
- Working to exact time constraints of the Barbican Centre’s summer recess with productions, exhibitions and performances arranged months in advance.
- Working in a live hospitality environment with the Barbican Centre still open to the public, 7 days a week.
- City Centre location and minimal storage and delivery space on site.